For Dumpling wrappers
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, finely shredded
- 1 cup garlic chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugarsalt, to taste
- Start by making the dough for the dumpling wrappers. Put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add the water to the flour and knead into smooth dough. This process should take about 10 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for an hour.
- In the meantime, make the filling. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 3 teaspoons oil and add the ginger. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the onions and stir-fry until translucent.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid released by the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and stir-fry for another 2 minutes, until the veggies are tender and all the liquid released has been cooked off. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow cooling.
- To the bowl, add the chopped chives, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Season with salt to taste (though the soy sauce will usually add enough salt to the filling), and stir in the last 1/4 cup of oil.
- To assemble the dumplings, cut the dough into small tablespoon-sized pieces. Roll each out into a circle, and pleat the dumplings. Place the filling in it and fold it.
To steam, put the dumplings in a steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes. Serve them hot.